Sunday, March 13, 2011

Book club!

A couple of years ago my Dad, brother and I started a book club. The focus of our club is historical pre-World War I non-fiction. Other than that, it's pretty wide-open although we generally stick to books that are related to battles/wars or books related to explorers. In other words, it's guy heaven!

Both my Dad and brother (and my mom and my brother's spouse of course) stopped by to visit today so we could review our latest read: The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey. Everyone was in agreement that this was a great book about one of those oddball corners of history that are almost too crazy to be true.


In a nutshell, Ex-President of the United States Theodore Roosevelt took a group of mostly untrained men down an unexplored river in the middle of the Amazon Rainforest where they had to overcome disease, starvation and hostile indigenous natives. Try picturing ol' Clinton or W. doing that! Hard to believe that took place only 100 years ago.

Besides the book club, everyone mostly just enjoyed Margot's company. The little spark really fills a room with joy so I don't blame them!


1 comment:

  1. A great book club day! And seeing Margot in person as opposed to the video screen was the best part. Wish it could have been longer.

    ReplyDelete