Thursday, March 10, 2011

Division of Labour

Over the years my wife, Jen, and I have divided all the house tasks between us. I’m not sure how this actually happened, as we never had a conversation about them. Nevertheless, stuff gets done. The reason I mention this is that the sky saw it fit to dump 15 centimetres of snow on us last night. Guess who was up bright and early shovelling the driveway? You got it! Your friendly neighbourhood blogger-man!


 I have to admit though that Jen chipped in a little bit.


Margot provided moral support.


Phew. At least it’s done.


Getting back on to my point, here’s a list of who does what in my house (sticking to winter tasks to make things simple).

Simon
  • Shovelling snow (mostly)
  • Folding laundry once clean (usually)
  • Sweeping, vacuuming and mopping.
  • Taking out garbage. Note that from speaking to my married friends I think men almost always do this but please correct me if I’m wrong.
  • Watering houseplants.
Jen
  • Laundry
  • Dishes (usually)
  • Cooking. I used to do more cooking but, as I blogged about before, Jen has really picked up the ball on this one. Perhaps it’s because Jen likes it that I mind and feed Margot while she cooks.
  • Taking the car in for maintenance. This is because of Jen’s more flexible schedule.
  • Attending yoga conferences (Jen tells me this is of critical importance).
Both
  • Keeping the bathroom clean.
  • Groceries.
  • Anything Margot-related although it will likely shift more to Jen once I go back to work due to Jen’s more flexible schedule.

3 comments:

  1. Look at that little face... That's what I call moral support! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Fanf and I don't so much share the housework as share the blame when it doesn't get done...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon, everyone knows that Jen is your wife! ;)

    ReplyDelete