Friday, March 18, 2011

Ethnicity

I’m trying to make Stuffed Grapevine leaves today. It’s a Lebanese specialty. Mmm I hope the recipe is successful because Lebanese food such as spinach pies, grapevine leaves, Kibbi, Tabouli, Fatoosh etc. is sooooo good!


The Lebanese influence comes from Jen’s side and is part of what makes Margot a real mishmash when it comes to her background! Essentially she is ¼ Franco-Ontarian, ¼ Lebanese, ¼ El Salvadorian and ¼ English (the first two being Jen’s ethnicity and the latter two being mine). However, this ignores some of the more distant parts of my background including Irish, Scottish, French and Mayan as well as Jen's Iroquois background. I guess all this makes Margot the perfect Canadian!

Unlike other parts of the world where interracial marriages seem to be less common, I think people with mixed ethnicities like Margot are actually going to be a large part of the Canadian population very soon, if they aren’t already. I remember seeing an interracial couple once when Jen and I were backpacking through Paris. I said to Jen, “I bet they’re from Canada” and sure enough we saw that they were wearing Mountain Equipment Co-op backpacks (which are typically Canadian).

Haha I just remembered that Margot has also been baptized Anglican. Wow. She is going to have quite the time filling out a census questionnaire!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Margot makes our two little halfbreeds look mundane.
    I still remember the stuffed vineleaves Eli made for me, yum :q Yours look pretty good too Simon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Stuffed grapevine leaves, papoosas, tortillas, steak and kidney pies, bangers and mash, tabouli, tortiere, crepes... That's going to be a great childhood full of delicious interesting food. I see a little foodie in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan - Hmm I need to expand my cooking repertoire to live up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since it's a foodie post...check the ingredients of that box of Windsor salt, Simon. Some of the bigger table salt brands put various ingredients in their salt - including sugar!! I was stunned when I discovered that, and promptly switched to sea salt, where the ingredient is just "salt." :) It might be a little more expensive, but really, how much salt does one really go through? Economically immaterial in the long run.

    ReplyDelete