Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mishka

Today was beautiful. I took full advantage of the weather by going for a walk with Noa, Margot, Jen’s mom and Jen’s mom’s dog, Mishka.


Mishka is an amazing dog. I have seen her get poked and prodded by Margot and Noa with nary a complaint (it’s amazing how some pets know to be super gentle when they’re around children!).

I grew up sans pets in my house while Jen’s family had a veritable potpourri of animals: dogs, rabbits and multiple cats. Perhaps this explains our differing views when it comes to getting our own pet; Jen is up for getting a cat while I’m hesitant about getting anything.

My main concern is that I don’t want the added responsibility right now, however minimal. Margot is handful enough without having to worry about feeding the cat or making sure the amount of fur scattered around the house is at a tolerable level. Plus, given that I’m currently the primary diaper-changer I can’t say I’m too enthused about having to pick up another being’s poop.

Jen and I owned a cat a few years ago and it was fun. Still, I’d rather wait a couple of years ‘til Margot gets older and she can pick out her own cat for her birthday or Christmas (which should, I suspect, vault me into the stratosphere of amazing dads).

Anyways, time will tell if Jen and Margot team up on me with their big cute eyes and convince me to get a pet sooner. Remind me not to teach Margot the word “chat”!

1 comment:

  1. I add my eyes to Jen and Margot's for moral support - pets are great!
    When I first read the post I couldn't understand why you didn't want to teach Margot the word chat... I thought maybe you didn't want mother and daughter chats about how to use big cute eyes to secure the acquisition of domestic animals. Then I realised I was just being a bit dim. And I'm meant to be bilingue, me!

    ReplyDelete