Friday, April 15, 2011

City Kids vs. Suburban Kids

Today I've been puttering around my sister's neighbourhood, the Danforth, with Margot. The Danforth is known as "Greek Town" although it's increasingly catering to the upper middle class.


It's interesting to think about whether there would be any differences if I raised Margot here, or anywhere else in the city of Toronto. Although I don't live in a true suburb of Ottawa/Gatineau (as I'm closer to Ottawa's downtown than many "urban" areas), my neighbourhood has sufficient suburb-like qualities that it's possible to compare and contrast where I live to my sister's area. Here are some observations:
  • Stroller size matters: you can get away with big strollers much easier where I live. In the city space is at a premium as sidewalks tend to be smaller, buildings narrower, etc.
  • Parks are key: unless you're super rich, backyard and front yards in the suburbs tend to be much larger. That means that parks are more important places for children to play in the city. Interestingly, however, my house actually has a smaller backyard than my sister's so I think I'm the exception that proves the rule.
  • Culture Smultchure: there's theoretically way more cultural opportunities for children in the city, especially one as big as Toronto. However, at the end of the day, I don't think this is such a big deal for babies as young as Margot as it is for the parents themselves when they need a break!
  • What's that thing with four wheels? If I lived in Toronto there is a much higher possibility I wouldn't even own a car. I would probably take Margot a lot of places by the subway or another form of mass transit. Margot, on the other hand, is quite familiar with her car seat.
All-in-all, those differences aren't too major. I think the little monkey could survive in the big city.

1 comment:

  1. I bet you'd get sick of taking the stroller onto a streetcar pretty quickly, haha (I shake my fist at the TTC)

    ReplyDelete