Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Playtime

I read somewhere online that dads sometimes initially find it hard to bond with babies. Partially this is a result of certain mommy-focused activities (like breast-feeding) that dominate the early days but I’ve also heard that there is only so much dads feel they can do with their babies at first. Apparently as a baby gets older, and they can play more, dads develop more attachment.

Margot is a central part of my life, but I will admit that I found there were limits to what I could do with her, especially during the winter months when I was forced to stay indoors. It’s not winter anymore but the weather is definitely junk today (ice rain) meaning I’m stuck inside. Here are some play ideas I’ve come up with for days like today:
  1. Hand Margot something. She takes great joy in this.
  2. Play peek-a-boo. It really is funny how this never gets old! “Where’d you go! I see your hands but not your face?! …Ahhh there you are.”
  3. Run up to her and tickle her.
  4. Say her name to her. I think she likes this because she recognizes the word and that makes her feel like a big girl.
  5. Make funny noises or faces to her. This can be combined with other activities on this list.
  6. Read a short book to her. Margot really reacts to certain stories now as compared to before. Little Numbers by Scholastic is her new favourite. It’s an epic tale of counting from one to five or (on a especially zany day) five to one.
  7. Let her run around. No batteries necessary!


There may be more but if anyone else has a good idea I’d love to hear about them!

2 comments:

  1. There's a lot of singing and dancing goes on in our little house :) But this usually leaves me extremely knackered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon, that first photo almost makes me want to weep with joy. She is such a little sparkle of happiness...give her a huge hug and kiss for me :)

    ReplyDelete