Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Closing the Circle

It’s hard to believe but I now have slightly less than two weeks left in my parental leave. Although I’m looking forward to working again, I’ll admit that the idea of being thrown back into a desk job after having spent so much time focusing solely on the little monkey can be a bit intimidating. On the professional side, I hope that my skills aren’t too rusty. My job requires a lot of reading so I’ve been keeping as up-to-date as possible by skimming relevant articles online. On the personal side, it’s not like Margot’s little life will automatically adjust just because I’m at work. It’s not like mine will either! Reality may hit like a splash of cold water to the face.


And to think – I’ve only been off for four months! I wonder what it would feel like to have been absent from work for a year (the typical absence for a stay-at-home mother in Canada). How about five years? Those numbers aren’t unheard of.

So things don't come as too much of a shock I’ve started to do some prep work to smooth the transition back into an office environment. Today, for example, I went to my old office for a visit. To be honest, I partly wanted to show off Margot (c’mon, every dad is like that!), but it was also nice to hear the latest doings and goings on. It turned out to be a really fun visit so overall I think the trip was a big success.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll be just fine although I bet you'll miss Margot more than you imagine as well! xxx

    ReplyDelete