Monday, April 25, 2011

Last Day

Well, this is it! The last blog post! What to write about? I’ve experienced so much in the last 122 days its hard to know where to begin.

I am anxious and excited to return to work (feelings that are heightened because I have a new job), yet nostalgic and subdued that my time with Margot is coming to an end. I am happy that I did so much with her over the last four months. However, I am also annoyed that much of the month of February and parts of March were a wash because I had a long cold (I only blogged about the worst part of it). I wish I could have some of that time back with her so I could enjoy it more. In sum, my emotions right now are a bit mixed up!

One thing I don’t regret is writing Tough Cookies. Although it was hard to come up with 122 original baby-related thoughts day after day, I enjoyed it for the most part. Moreover, having a blog encouraged me to go out and try new things so that, at the very least, I would have something to write about at the end of the day! I would definitely recommend blogging as an emotional release valve for any future parent.

As much fun as it was, I’m going to take a long hiatus from writing. I’m not sure whether another chapter of Tough Cookies is in me at this point but I’m not foreclosing the opportunity of starting something again a few years from now when the dust has settled and perhaps a new opportunity has come up. We shall see…!

Before I go though, I’d like to thank Jen’s blogger friends for inspiring me with their blog website sites. I’d also like to say thank you to anyone who was the subject of a blog post (my friends and family) - I literally carried a camera around with me all the time and was constantly saying “this could make a good blog post” to them! So thank you for putting up with me. Most of all I’d like to thank Jen for being my sounding board, editor and occasional muse. I couldn’t have done this without her.

You know, I named this blog “Tough Cookies” because I thought it would be challenging (tough) and fun (cookies) at the same time. It was – but not in the ways I expected. Looking back, I didn’t find changing diapers, cleaning bottles or keeping Margot distracted to be that hard in the end - those things just became part of my daily routine. What I found to be the most challenging was the sheer amount of time I was given to reflect upon the direction my life now that Margot is such a big part of it. I think I came up with some good ideas but it’s going to be constant work to make sure I am the father that I would like to be. At the same time, Margot wasn’t just fun because of her amazing smile, laugh or goofy haircut (whoops, my fault). I think she was most fun because of her inherent ability to find ways to surprise me. I am really happy to know her and I can’t wait to see what she has in store for me next. “Sweets – don’t eat that!!”


The End

7 comments:

  1. Ohhh, darn. I teared up. Maybe it's just this rain. That must be it.

    <:)

    Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Simon for the wonderful 122 days of blogging. It was a breath of fresh air at the end of every day. I will miss your humorous and stylish writing that captured so well your lives with bébé Margot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to miss Touch Cookies too!
    xox

    p.s. To all fans out there, I am trying to convince Simon in continuing his blog on a weekend basis. But it's tough (!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops! i mean TouGH Cookies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog has been a wonderful way to keep up with my beautiful, talented god daughter on a regular basis and to get an idea of what my life is about to start looking like with a little one on the way. Thank you so much Simon and Margot! All my love,
    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, I can spot the blurry tickle hand just pushing that gorgeous smile a little wider :)
    Au revoir mon compagnon d'arme x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the ride Sim, and Margot too of course.

    ReplyDelete