Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Growling Emus

I had quite an interesting morning today. Jen’s mom invited me to visit the Erablière Riveraine (sugar shack) on the Quebec side of the border along with Jen’s Dad and little Noa. Unlike the last sugar shack I visited, in Ontario, this sugar shack was a bit more…rustic, let’s say.

One of the most bizarre things about the place was that I didn't see any maple trees around! I’m not sure how they make their maple syrup. Hopefully not from grocery store trees.


It did have a small petting zoo full of barnyard animals including: goats; sheep; rabbits; ponies and…an Emu? I never knew this but Emus growl if you get too close. Seeing a five foot tall bird growl is actually quite scary! So we kept our distance.


Besides the petting zoo there was a really funny “museum” on site. Here's the foyer. It’s a good thing we wore our fancy dress clothes. 


Inside the museum were exhibits on…on…you know I have no clue what this was supposed to be a museum of. Maybe farm equipment but I’ll let you guess:


The best part of the sugar shack was the all-you-can-eat breakfast for $6.50 Cdn. Although they only had three types of food (eggs, back bacon, and pancakes), I made sure to get my fill and keep the local chickens, pigs and pancake beasts working.

Fun morning even if it was a bit peculiar!

2 comments:

  1. I really see Jen in Margot's features in the third picture. And yes, that outing did seem a little shabby...but hey an outing's an outing ;) You take Margot on outings way more than any other parent I'm acquainted with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you were the only ones there. Since 1957... Which is kind of cool ;)

    ReplyDelete