Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Wonder

I often bring Margot to windows these days so she can look at our backyard, the birds, the brown-green grass or even just the grubby leftover snow. Sometimes she cranes her neck this way and that as she tries to see what’s going on. Other times, like today, she just looks outside patiently and takes it all in.

I can hardly blame the little haricot; spring is a very new concept for her. Although she was technically born in this season, the temperature at the time last year was already around 30 degrees Celsius so she’s never had an opportunity to really enjoy the season. Plus, I imagine she had other things on her mind like “where the ‘ell am I?!”

I can’t wait to see and show Margot even more once the weather gets warmer. For me, being a guide is definitely one of the highlights of being a parent. It reminds me of how amazing the world is. Although I’ve always tried to retain some sense of wonder (for example, I’m drawn to look at ponds and rivers and imagine what lives just beneath the surface), often I forget and just let the days blaze by. Margot won’t let me do that too easily. I think she’ll smile when she sees me mow the grass and look suspiciously at the frogs in our little pond when she hears them croak for the first time.

But it’s early days. For now, I’ll just keep bringing her to the window and watch her as she watches the world.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. One of the best things about having children is being able to discover the world all over again through their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post Sim. I feel the same way when I'm in nature, whatever the degree, be it a backyard pond or a panoramic view of thousands of miles of nothing.I hope I that part of Margot lasts a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete