Wednesday, January 26, 2011

21st Century Parenting

I am neither a Luddite nor someone who embraces every electronic fad that comes along. I generally only believe in buying something if I feel it will notably improve the quality of my life.  However, I have to admit that there have been some amazing developments in technology in recent years; for example, in telecommunications. 


Today, I hooked up a web camera and microphone to my laptop and used Skype for the first time.  Skype is a program that facilitates live conversations over the Internet for free.  It was incredibly easy to install and after only a few minutes I was speaking face-to-face with my parents who are 400-500 km away (depending on which road you take) in Newmarket.



What a fun experience!  My parents were able to make Margot smile and laugh, while Margot was able to show them that she’s now able to occasionally stand for two seconds without any support (this is breaking news as of about two days ago).

There are definitely some positives and negatives with this technology. On the plus side, Margot will grow up knowing the faces of all her grandparents – both the ones here in Ottawa/Gatineau and the ones in Newmarket. On the negative side, I guess I’ll have to start shaving more regularly so I don’t look like a total grub when I make these calls.

Definitely a brave new world!

5 comments:

  1. The picture looks great! I'll have to get skype to see the little munchkin too. She looks like a natural on the computer. In this day and age she'll know more about computers than you by the time she's 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do skype with my brothers, Matilda loves it. We must try, it's about the only form of communication Jen and I don't use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I must get my skype set up too!! Jonathan mentioned he set it up yesterday as well, so I'm the only one who's skype-less! Mum and Dad look so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use it all the time for grandparent calls - i remember when D was a new born we actually set it up to show him sleeping in his cot while we all talked. It's not like they want to see the adults is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look on your parents' faces! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete