Friday, January 21, 2011

“I think I am starting to understand you”

This morning, Jen caught me completely off-guard with a simple but powerful statement. Almost offhandedly, she said,  “I think I am starting to understand you” in reference to the fact that she had been considering calling me yesterday but had been too busy at work and had decided against it.  I made similar decisions on several occasions when I was at work, as I had a fairly demanding position.

My parental leave has resulted in a role reversal in this house!  Jen is now the one working while I am the one taking the lion’s share of the parental responsibilities. I think this has really benefited our relationship by allowing us to have greater empathy for one another. I am definitely more understanding of just how demanding Margot can be. At the same time, Jen’s comment demonstrates to me that she understands that life sometimes demands that we make tough choices, like staying at work, which can be necessary for financial, professional or even personal reasons (for those of us who like our jobs).  It’s just too bad that parental leave for fathers isn’t more widely encouraged as I suspect others could have a similar experience.

 


Regardless, now’s the time for me to take advantage of the general conciliatory mood around here!  Jen, about that summer fishing trip I’ve always wanted to take to the Yukon with my brother…

3 comments:

  1. Really good post. And you're dead right, I think it would be brilliant if every couple could walk in each other's shoes like you and Jen have the oppportunity of doing. However as not everybody lives in an ideal world (Canada ;) we'll have to rely on inciteful posts like this one to open our eyes for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the`teacher`pic Jen! Ready to go!

    ReplyDelete