Friday, January 7, 2011

Play Dates

Play dates seem popular among a lot of people on parental leave.  During Jen’s leave she had a weekly routine that involved bundling Margot up and heading out to meet her friend Rachel and her daughter, Isla, at a local vegetarian restaurant (the Table), Bookstore (Chapters), or coffee shop (Bridgehead). Today they met up again (at Chapters) with Rachel’s new baby boy, Xander, in tow, while I was at the mall hunting for post-Christmas sales.


Like “date nights”, I suspect the purpose of play dates is to keep parents from going nuts. Especially when the parents involved have only very young children, as I’m not sure two babies lying next to each other are really “playing”. 

It’s an interesting phenomenon. However, maybe it’s just me but it seems to be the kindof thing you’d want to do with friends of the same sex (although I have a sneaking suspicion that they’ll be making a movie on this involving Will Farrell or Jack Black as the odd guy out in a bunch of women in the near future.  Rosie O’Donnell will probably be in the movie too).

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any other Dads who are on full time leave like me so I might have to get creative.

4 comments:

  1. Very yummy mummy.

    Simon you should be a pioneer in your field and start a daddy play date. You pop the munchkins in the playpen while you and your daddy friends sit companionably around the Playstation. Or Xbox. I'm not very "down" with the whole computer game thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin's husband is on total parental leave for quite a while - I think 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow Eddie Murphy will end up in that movie too.

    ReplyDelete